Monday 24 May 2010

PLACES - CONCLUSION

For this Assignment, we had 4 unit topics to cover. To summarise the work I have chosen to present as final pieces, I have to discuss my work as a split of Familiar Place, Wilderness/Countryside & Alien or Foreign Environment, and The City or Urban Sprawl, since I created a book for the first 3 sections as one, and looked at the last separate.
A Familiar Place that is significant or important to you.
The Wilderness or Countryside.
The "Alien" or "Foreign" environment.
For the first 3 units, I wanted to convey the beauty of Northern Cyprus where I spend a lot of time since I have a place there. I set out to produce a coffee table book illustrating some of the fantastic views from various points. Many of the images were taken fro either a low or a high vantage point which I think adds to the sense of scale. I have incorporated all three topics into this book, choosing aerial perspective images of the earth for the alien environment, and a series of tree pattern images for the wilderness or countryside depicting random tree patterns. I edited many of the images into black and white since I wanted to convey a sense of the emptiness of the place, and also because of the vantage point there was a lot of aerial perspective so this made the images sharper. I used a deep depth of field throughout to capture every detail, such as F22 or higher, adjusting the shutter speed accordingly to compensate the correct exposure, and used a Nikon D80 DSLR with a 18 - 55 mm short telephoto, and a 70 - 300mm for greater distances. I attached a polarising filter which has made a greater impact to the hues of the skies on the colour images.
The City or the Urban Sprawl.
For this unit I used a series of images of Liverpool both outside of, and inside of some of the iconic buildings which make up the material skyline and fabric of the city. I wanted to convey the sense of diversity from the classical buildings of the Liver Building to the inside of the Catholic Cathedral. I used both low vantage view points to convey a sense of the scale of some of the buildings, to intimate shots of light filtering through into buildings through stained glass windows. Lighting was difficult in some of the buildings, but a careful post production editing with Photoshop has helped with most of the images. The two images which i have printed as final images are the Liver Building which I think would work as a postcard or in a travel brochure, and the Catholic Cathedral from the steps, since this is also an icon of modern architecture. Depth of field was key to ensure all the details were retained. Throughout I used a Nikon D80 DSLR, with an 18 - 55 mm, or a 70 - 300mm lens since they were convenient through a range of different situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment