Wednesday 11 November 2009

STUDIO PHOTOGRAPHY - 45 DEGREE LIGHTING


In the studio, there are a number of lighting techniques which may be employed. In the following, I have used a pineapple, since it is quite an interesting fruit to observe. I have used various equipment which I will detail as I go along, to create a number of different lighting effects. Throughout, I have used my Nikon D80 SLR, and a tripod, in order that I could achieve the same angle of view in each picture, which in turn allows me to see the full effect of my lighting in comparison to each technique.
The first photograph employs 45 DEGREE lighting. Here I positioned my subject on a still life studio table, and positioned my studio light with a soft box diffuser at a 45 degree angle to the rear of my subject, with the light on the same level as my subject. It should be noted that greater contrast can be achieved by using a naked light rather than with a diffuser. The camera was set to ISO 200, and since the flash sync. speed of my D80 is 125th of a second, this was the shutter speed I used. Using a light meter, I established that the correct exposure was f11. The focal length of my lens was 45mm.
This type of light casts a shadow to the opposite side of the subject to the light source. This technique can be used to highlight a specific part of your subject, for example, if this were a person, to highlight and make interesting contrast to their face. You could then use a reflector to fill in the light to the darker side to your liking. You can read more about this type of technique in Langford's Basic Photography, Focal Press, 8th Edition, 2007, section 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment